Home > Eating & drinking > You draconian what draconian?

You draconian what draconian?

Sorry for radio silence, I’ve been in Istanbul (not Constantinople) doing Exciting but Hardworking things.

Quick comment on the budget: many people, mostly on the “we believe in free markets except when, err, I’ll get back to you on that one” right, seem to think that the government’s rise in beer excise duty spells the death knell for struggling pubs.

The rise in beer tax is 4p. A pint of beer costs £2.50-£3.50. If you can find anyone, anywhere, who’s willing to drink a £2.50 pint but not a £2.54 pint, then I’ll eat a hat salad, a hat casserole and a hat meringue pie…

Categories: Eating & drinking
  1. March 20, 2008 at 1:27 am | #1

Tsk.
    Start marinading. We know that at the margin there is indeed someone who would do so, just as we know that there's someone who won't buy a 2.50 pint but will a 2.49.

2. chris y
    March 23, 2008 at 10:39 pm | #2

Good point. A lot of this sort of reaction is from people who vaguely remember that when they first started going to the pub they could get a pint for 1/9d, but haven't actually been in one since Thatcher was PM because, really, you get a much better G&T if you make it yourself.

3. March 24, 2008 at 1:17 am | #3

The trouble is that my local only puts beer up in 10p increments, so the 4p figure is meaningless.

4. March 24, 2008 at 11:17 am | #4

5. JAM
    March 28, 2008 at 1:07 am | #5

My local has upped it's beer prices by 15p per pint! I think he must have included future increases this time to save having complaints about increases each year being voiced in his pub. Luckily cider has only gone up by 10p – except Old Rosie which is still £2.80 a pint. Mmmmmm……Old Rosie….

6. March 28, 2008 at 1:36 am | #6

Hello. I'll take this on.

7. Matthew
    April 2, 2008 at 12:20 am | #7

"We know that at the margin there is indeed someone who would do so"

Do we know that? Please explain.

1. April 5, 2008 at 1:35 am | #1