Home > Uncategorized > Created in Birmingham

Created in Birmingham

I just voted for West Midlands creative networking blog Created In Birmingham as the Best UK Blog in the 2008 Weblog Awards, and I’d urge you to do the same.

No, I don’t particularly care about the Brummie creative arts world (much as I love Napalm Death and Jasper Carrott…), but they’re the entrant with the single best chance of beating evil bigot and certifiable lunatic Melanie Phillips to the top spot. View it as a kind-of Rickrolling For Good…

Oh, and congrats to Nosemonkey for his nomination. Sometimes you have to let the good suffer to avoid the evil, or similar items of cod philosophy.

Categories: Uncategorized
  1. Tom
    January 7, 2009 at 2:10 am | #1

Neil Clark won it last year, largely thanks to a campaign by blogs such as Harry's Place which thought it would be funny. I don't see why he can't manage the same thing again.

2. January 7, 2009 at 2:11 am | #2

Does that count as pRick-rolling?

3. Tom
    January 7, 2009 at 2:24 am | #3

Ha and, again, ha. The comedy of the whole thing was enhanced by Clark's resolute refusal to take his win as anything other than evidence that he was wildly popular – but perhaps last year's widely shared private joke is best not repeated, so I'll vote for the Brummies.

4. January 7, 2009 at 7:07 am | #4

Very many thanks, Mr. Band, I had never heard of this vote until now, so I'm off to vote for Melanie immediately, the only sane voice in Britain, apart from Littlejohn . . . hello . . . hello . . . are you still there? . . . perhaps someone should call an ambulance I think poor John has just fainted away . . .

5. January 7, 2009 at 11:18 am | #5

I can honestly say that the concept of Signor Duff supporting Mad Mel is one that leaves me unshaken and unstirred. Next someone'll be telling me that mad Trots are supporting Neil Clark…

6. ajay
    January 8, 2009 at 10:47 pm | #6

Proposition: David Duff is insane.

Proof:
    Postulate 1: David Duff is in Britain.
    Postulate 2: David Duff believes that Melanie Phillips and Richard Littlejohn are "the only sane voices in Britain".
    Therefore: David Duff does not believe himself to be sane.
    Axiom 1: While an mad man might or might not know himself to be mad, no sane man would believe himself to be mad.
    Therefore: David Duff is insane.
    QED.

Alternative proof:
    Axiom 2: Only an insane person would believe Melanie Phillips or Richard Littlejohn to be the only sane voices in Britain.
    Therefore, the conclusion follows simply from Postulate 2. QED.

The second proof is more elegant, as it remains valid even if Postulate 1 is false.

7. January 10, 2009 at 9:22 pm | #7

Cheers for the support. We're trying to do a good thing here in the Midlands, which I think our small but incredibly supportive community shows.

We have a relatively small platform for getting our voice heard and winning this award would mean an awful lot to us.

Chris Unitt, Created in Birmingham

8. January 10, 2009 at 10:46 pm | #8

Duff's openly racist too, as explained here:

9. January 12, 2009 at 6:36 am | #9

Thanks for voting. Chris Unitt is right about Created in Birmingham. It's a blog which encourages creatives in the city, connects them with each other and encourages them to use the social web to their own advantage.

Whatever your motive for voting for CiB, you are lending support to a good thing when you do so!

Thanks again.

10. January 16, 2009 at 10:07 pm | #10

Mel loses! Strong work John. Another victory for the broader community of people who think it crass to froth at the mouth whenever anyone mentions brown people.

1. January 11, 2009 at 1:21 pm | #1