Home > Bit of politics > Da do ron ron ron da do ron ron

Da do ron ron ron da do ron ron

On reading of Phil Spector’s murder conviction last night, and the suggestion that it might devalue his (indisputably great) achievements, my first thought was ‘anyone who thinks that is a tit’.

That starting point got me thinking about historical figures who, despite providing unequivocal net good to society, were despicable bastards in their private lives.

In that frame of mind, I read this:

Once upon a time I was a communist, before that I was a catholic. Rather like Terry Eagleton I was able to make the transition between the two quite comfortably because I could do so without having to encounter liberalism along the way.

…and was reminded how grateful I am to random chance for the fact that Henry VIII happened to evolve where and when he did.

The rest of the piece is here, although sadly it doesn’t quite live up to that awesome line.

1. April 16, 2009 at 9:24 pm | #1

I never thought that Phil Spector was that great anyway.

But I agree, if we refused to listen to music or appreciate works of art by people who are or were bastards in their private lives, that'd rule out a lot of great stuff.

2. April 16, 2009 at 11:00 pm | #2

(no, Newmania, you're still banned)

3. Neil
    April 16, 2009 at 11:31 pm | #3

You say that, but I reckon there must have been a fair few clenched buttocks at Sony BMG a few years back.

4. Dirty Protest
    April 17, 2009 at 1:00 am | #4

He should be issued a get out of jail free card for 'All Things Must Pass'. I reckon thats worth about 4 deaths.

5. Neil
    April 17, 2009 at 1:28 am | #5

Does the get out of jail free card work the other way round?

If so, coldplay.

6. April 17, 2009 at 9:05 pm | #6

On the other hand, we'll never hear "Do You Wanna Be In My Gang" again, and I'm not convinced that's a bad thing.

7. Neil
    April 24, 2009 at 2:56 am | #7

Mrs Thatcher says Telstar is her favourite record, and she should know.

1. No trackbacks yet.