Home > Music etc > Three Paul McCartney songs that are better than anything John Lennon ever did

Three Paul McCartney songs that are better than anything John Lennon ever did

Whilst I’m not quite willing to go to dsquared’s levels of defence of unpopular bands, I can’t quite believe that in my last, trolly, incoherent post the only thing I’ve so far been picked up on is suggesting that Paul McCartney’s solo output is better than John Lennon’s. That wasn’t part of the trolly incoherence – it’s just an obvious truth. Even if you’re a Lennon-ist, you have to base that on the conjecture that he contributed more than Paul to the Beatles, because nobody could possibly class any solo track by John Lennon as anything other than “disappointment”.

Paul McCartney recorded this:

…and this:

…and this, which is also an alternative theme song for this blog:

Lennon recorded “Oh Yoko”. Fuck him.

1. April 26, 2010 at 8:14 am | #1

Quite right. Lennon was a better singer than McCartney, and died tragically. These two facts have tended to obscure the fact that McCartney is by far the better musician.

2. April 26, 2010 at 6:28 pm | #2

McCartney was the only one of the Beatles who was actually a master of his instrument as well. All of them (well, ringo not so much) perfectly competent but as a bass player McC is excellent. I'm talking at the level not where someone is technically competent to play a sequence, but in the decision of what sequence to play. McC is still regarded as one of the great bassists on that level.

He also recorded Mull of Kintyre, which has to have a negative value though….

3. April 27, 2010 at 6:09 am | #3

Fuck me Timbo you had the Frog`s chorus and you went for Mull of Kintyre ? I kind of agree but with one or two exceptions Wings is a fart in the hurricane that was the Beatles and I think the parts were greater than the Fab four whole
    Still without the Maccas songs and underated voice they are nothing

From Wings I `d have chosen this

• Hakan Engstrom
      August 21, 2012 at 7:48 pm | #4

Good points, great song. That particular recording isn't Wings, though; this is the version, the original by the way, where McCartney played all of the instruments himself.

4. April 27, 2010 at 6:15 am | #5

God they were a great band though

5. dsquared