Home > Eating & drinking > This is not pikey, this is just *correct*

This is not pikey, this is just *correct*

From Popbitch:

In the 2004 European Championships a whole load of Jamie Carragher’s family went out to Lisbon to support him. Our favourite over-heard moment from the posh WAG hotel where they stayed, from one of his close relatives: “Call this a 5 star hotel? They don’t even have a kettle in the room!”

I hate, hate, hate hotels that don’t have kettles (or, preferably, like any hotel in the US – even one which only costs $50 and has a coin-operated bed – filter coffee machines) in the room.

Yes, I could get room service. But I want a bloody coffee now, because I’ve just bloody woken up, and I don’t want to have to get dressed before I drink it, and whilst I’m aware that the amount you’re charging my company would probably entitle me to let in your room service person naked without them complaining, that really isn’t my bag.

In conclusion: Scouse footballer relatives are better at appraising hotels than gay gossip columnists. Probably because the former actually have to get up in the morning.

1. May 21, 2010 at 7:44 am | #1

Pikey ? You mean travelling community ? Isn`t whatever you say in your defence going to be " What racists say ".I shocked , shocked .

2. May 21, 2010 at 2:50 pm | #2

Fuck off. When *other people* are being tacitly racist, I often paraphrase using terms like "darkies" to highlight the substance of their argument. This is an example.

3. Neil
    May 21, 2010 at 10:11 pm | #3

Also, fridges that can't be used to store your own stuff (because they're sealed, or have that microswitch arrangement).

Big hotels are generally weird though, like stuck in some bizarre point in time when their guests were all so dazzled by being in a Big Foreign City that they lose the ability to buy stuff at the nearest supermarket. Or use a mobile phone.

[Incidentally, what's the name for someone who spends all their time hanging around people they affect to despise?]

4. ajay
    May 21, 2010 at 10:47 pm | #4

An academic.

5. chris y
    May 21, 2010 at 11:04 pm | #5

How the fuck does a coin-operated bed work? Tips you on the floor if the meter runs out or what?

6. May 22, 2010 at 2:56 am | #6
  7. May 22, 2010 at 2:57 am | #7

@ajay That's why you hang around CT, right?

8. May 22, 2010 at 7:30 am | #8

You mean they way Boris used the words 'grinning piccaninnies' to highlight the hilarity of Blair`s self image as royalty on a "New" Commonwealth tour c.1957.Yes ?
    I do hope your keen sense of irony did not desert you then ,but I bet it did.

1. No trackbacks yet.